Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Pothole Season

I heard on the radio this morning that from late February to Spring is considered "Pothole Season" in our neck of the woods.  There is some truth to that.  Our little, back-country roads are not really paved with asphalt, but covered with tar and chips.  This eventually hardens and smooths into something that looks like asphalt, but falls apart more easily.  With all of the extra drilling and pipe-lining traffic on these roads lately, some of them are in terrible shape.

I'm not sure what else to call this in-between season otherwise.  Winter isn't quite over, because we will occasionally get a snow storm that drops an inch or two of snow, but it doesn't usually stick around for more than a couple of days.  We get glimpses of Spring, when the sun pops out and the weather warms up slightly for a day here and there.  I know it's close, because my eternally seasonally naive bulbs are peeking out of the mud, but I have no delusions that Winter is done yet either.

It messes with my mind, this time of year.  I start thinking that I can't possibly tolerate a single day more of cold, gray skies, and then the sun breaks through...but not for long.  L and I are planning to make newspaper pots and start our indoor seeds tomorrow.  Growing things is usually my therapy in late February/early March.  Hope it works this year!

A friend of mine recently posted a picture of ruby red beans, and remarked on how much she enjoys seeing the colors in her food.  Here is my colorful picture...the eggs that we gathered today from our hens.  After I've washed all the eggs, it makes me smile to see all the varied colors of pink and brown and speckled.


In other news, I tried to perk up myself as well as the girls by adding a little surprise to the new closet doors that I painted and installed for them.  I spray painted stars with glow-in-the-dark paint on the panels.  Unfortunately, I was unable to photograph it in the dark, but you can see the outlines of some of the stars in this picture.


We do what we can to get past this bump in the road that is February.  I'll leave you with my thankfulness post for today:

Today I am thankful that the girls and I had the chance to spend an hour to have tea and chat with my Mom.  It was nice to take that opportunity, and I hope to do more of it.

No comments: