Sunday, February 17, 2013

Post Valentine Post

Well, here we are, several days after Valentine's Day.  The February slump has finally hit me.  I feel pretty miserable, and sorry for myself, and pathetic.  It's a good thing y'all are not here.

Part of my misery has to do with my throbbing nose.  I slammed into the glass door at the Post Office last week...saw it out of the corner of my eye while I was calling L, and thought it was open.  It wasn't.  I think I probably broke my nose, but the door is ok.  Now, a week later, it is still somewhat swollen, although the bruising is fading.  It is still VERY sore.  If I forget to take Advil for a while, it starts throbbing and the pain spreads into my left eye and cheek.  Moan.

The girls are sick.  Well, L is feeling better, but J came home from school with a fever on Friday, and is still running a fairly high one today.  My plans for our day off of school tomorrow, part of which involved brunch at Waffle House while they finish aligning my van, are off.  So are this weekend's plans of shopping for new chairs for the dining table.  After 15 + years, they are wobbly and worry me quite a bit.  I've tried a couple of times over the years to shore them up, but the fix never lasts long.  I finally decided this week that they have got to go.  After all of my pouting and sighing, JP finally offered to go do some shopping for me.  He's very sweet.

L and I "helped" out at J's school Valentine's party on Thursday.  J was acting a bit strange...didn't seem to want to hang with her friends, or with us.  Instead, she sat alone at her desk and ate her pink cupcake and played Valentine Bingo.  Now that I think about it, she was probably starting to get sick on Thursday...could explain her behavior somewhat!  She spent several hours last Sunday making her valentines, which I forgot to photograph.  They looked something like this, and we got the photo and the idea from Family Fun Magazine.


Lauren made a few valentines too, which we passed out to family and friends after J's party.  We have made these colorful flamingos before, and this idea too was from Family Fun.  I made a template for her to trace the body and head, and bent the pipe cleaners for her.  She did all the rest by herself.




I had seen a cute picture and recipe for Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies in a magazine last week, so made a recipe.  They look nice, but taste only OK, so I won't share the recipe.



It snowed again Wednesday night, and dumped 2 or 3 inches of heavy snow in about 2 hours.  It was beautiful on Valentine's morning, but it didn't last long.



It has snowed again and melted again twice since then.  Today it is bitterly cold (in the teens again), grey, and blowing snow...typical February.  I have lots of things I SHOULD do, but no motivation to do them.  I arranged specially to take the day off work tomorrow so that I could do something special with the girls, who are both off school for President's Day.  I need to buck up, put a smile on my face, and still make that happen.

Ok, here we go...

1 comment:

Kimberly Long Cockroft said...

Ah, February. Ahhhhhh, February!!!! I remember. Colder than it should be, grey, ugly, no bones about it. So: you have broken your nose and I am not around to see this latest injury of yours. I started looking for a photo and then I realized, of course, she's not going to post a photo of her poor nose. I'm so sorry! It sounds terribly painful.

Tell L--we got her Valentines and they are GORGEOUS. We have taped them up by our breakfast table so we can enjoy them. The googly eyed one was perfect for Bea.

I'm afraid we were remiss about Valentines this year, but we send our love and kisses to you. xoxoxoxo