Sunday, December 30, 2012

Almost the New Year!

Perhaps, quite by accident, I may be able to accomplish one of my resolutions for 2012, which was to put the huge stack of photos of the girls in scrapbooks for them.  It has been my resolution for the past 4 years, but the project got so huge and overwhelming that I managed to overlook it in favor of other projects for a LONG time.

I began scrap booking for the girls after J was born, and have kept books for both of them current...up until the summer of 2008.  That Fall, I found myself homeschooling a Kindergartner for the first time, as well as listing and selling our house, and moving TWO times before the school year was over.  Oh yeah, I had a toddler too.  For some reason, at that point in my life, the scrap booking became less of a priority.

So...the day after Christmas this year, I quite unexpectedly found myself with nothing pressing to do.  After postponing it for nearly 2 hours with shoveling snow and doing laundry, I dug out the two boxes of pictures and miscellany that I had saved for the scrapbooks.  I thought I had left everything in order, with photos separated and in chronological order, but that was not the case.  For the first hour and a half, I merely sorted through over 300 photos.

I spread out materials across my entire desk, and part of the floor of my Craft Room.  Thus far, I have done 61 pages, finishing L's photos, and making it about 1/2 of the way through J's.  These are 12" x 12" pages I'm talking about, complete with cropping of photos, borders, journaling and cute little stickers and die cuts.  This afternoon, however, I hit a wall.  I simply could NOT tolerate any more of the crafty-ness, and not only that, but my bum was numb.

I have taken a break this evening to fold laundry, water plants, and watch the end of P&P with JP and the girls.  I am encouraged however, by the progress I've made.  It would be so lovely to NOT have this on my "To Do" list in 2013, AND I've resolved to do NO MORE of it.  The past 2 years I have made photo books on Shutterfly, and like it SO much better.


In the meantime, we have celebrated the 7th birthday of the wee L by going out to a movie ("Rise of the Guardians"...very fun, by the way, AND we ran into friends at the theater) and having a tiny bakery cake at home.  I have promised her a party with Grandmom & Granddad and all of her friends when they have all returned from Christmas merry-making (be forewarned all ye friends of the Poplar Ridge clan!)


The girls and I had a blast playing in the snow yesterday, but I have discovered, much as I did after roller-skating last Spring, that I pay dearly for it with stiff muscles the day after...I am too old for such silliness I suppose.


We also have spent several hours playing with their Christmas toys:  J got a Crime Solving Forensic Science kit, complete with 2 "crimes" to solve, and L got a Magic Science kit.  So far we have tested the pH of water, learned how to determine the height of a person by their shoe size, and separated DNA from a tomato with J's kit.  L made a magic wand with purple crystals that grew to 4 times their original size, made disappearing ink, and magically changed the color of water.

Tomorrow, JP must head back to work.  The girls and I have a respite of 2 more days before school begins again.  Perhaps tomorrow we can do more Forensics and Magic, and if I'm lucky, finish the scrapbooks!

No comments: