Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Chicken

My parents, the girls and I spent about an hour - start to finish - butchering the remaining 6 old lady hens.  Interestingly, we found formed eggs with hard shells in half of them, and small shell-less yolks in most of them...made for an interesting anatomy lesson for the girls!

I took 2 of them, and my parents took the other 4.  I have had a chicken in my crock pot simmering away since Monday morning:  the 2 old, scrawny hens, and one enormous bird that I bought from a local farmer last Fall.  I now have about a gallon of chicken meat to can in the pressure canner tomorrow.  This meat will make quick and easy meals this winter, and for that I am extremely thankful. 

I also seem to be "catching up" on my to-do list over the last couple of days, accomplishing several things that I've been "meaning to do" for a few days, including taking the van to Washington for an alignment.  (The alignment didn't actually get done, but I did get a new tire...long story.)

Tomorrow is vet day, with surgery for Lizzy kitten, and shots for Kali.  All this running around keeps L and I on our toes!  It is a wonderful feeling to be able to kick back and watch Netflix tonight...maybe I'll actually attack the ironing while the Netflix is on, and cross another chore off my to-do list.

No comments: