Monday, December 6, 2010

From Giving Thanks to...February???

How did it get to be December?

I don't know if this happens to you, but most Decembers, I find my schedule totally packed...something going on each and every day. It's not quite that bad around here yet, but we did manage to book most of our time from this coming weekend until early January. It's all fun, of course: a visit to Family, a vacation in a sunny location with no huge agenda, and lots of Family here for Christmas festivities.

So, some how we went from feasting on amazing Turkey and fixins with lovely family and friends to now. JP tried a new method of Turkey roasting this year. He's the Turkey man; if it is left up to me, I get crabby and the Turkey is bland. He butterflied the bird on Thanksgiving Eve, while L looked on, smacking her lips and chortling "Ummmm! Yummy!" After this, he rubbed a salt mixture under the skin. The following day, he draped it with salt pork and roasted it until it was golden brown and the skin was deliciously crispy.

The Monday after Thanksgiving is the first day of rifle season for deer hunting in PA. It is HUGE around here...so big in fact, that the schools are closed for the occasion! This was my first year to sit out with a rifle, which I did 3 different days, but didn't see any animals except for Bert and Ernie, the barn cats. I was trying to decide, while I sat patiently in the cold, whether I could actually pull the trigger if I happened to see a deer meander into my sights. I'm still undecided.

The last day I was out, I was run off by helicopters. Because of the huge discovery of natural gas in the Marcellus shale in this region, the property around here has been crawling with earth movers for the past several months. Presently, a company is doing seismic studies in preparation for a Marcellus well to go in very near Poplar Ridge. I think the helicopters were here on seismic study business, as they were dropping mysterious packages in our yard and my parents' as well.




This is a helicopter getting ready to drop a package in my parents' yard.



This is the one that landed just down the hill from my clothes line.

video

This is how loud it was, causing me to give up my secluded post and come in by the fire.

L has begun Christmas activities at Preschool. J was delighted to get out the Christmas ornaments and decorate the tree. I am glad to report that my level of Christmas Spirit is MUCH higher than last year, despite the weather that makes me think of February: gray and blowing snow every day for days and days.

No comments: