We are hosting one of JP's cousins and her husband for a few days this week. I had a great meal planned for yesterday: grilled chicken, Messy Antipasto Pasta Salad, and a fresh dill-cucumber salad. I was all prepared...by 3:30 I had the Pasta salad made, and the chicken cut up and marinating. I dropped J off at a friend's house for a sleep over ON TIME. I had an hour in which to continue weeding in the garden (a never ending job) and tie up the corn, which blew down in a storm over the weekend. The weeding didn't get finished, the corn didn't get finished, but I reluctantly walked up to the house to prep the grill for the chicken only a few minutes later than I had hoped.
Besides spilling the oil to grease the grill with on the way out, things were still going smoothly. I put the chicken on, checked the time, and headed back in the house to make the cucumber salad. 15 minutes later, just as planned, I headed out to turn the chicken. Smoke was rolling out of the grill, and tongues of flames peeked out here and there. Not a good sign.
This is what it looked like:
Not too bad, right? We'll just have JP pick up some KFC for supper instead. Don't look up!
Oops...it appears the ceiling soffit got a bit too hot as well.
Today, my Dad helped me start up the power washer, and I went over everything. I even scraped all of the nasty grunge out of the inside of the grill. Things look much better, except for the soffit...that will have to be replaced. The good news is that both the porch lights and the grill still work!
In the process today, both the dog and I got into a ground nest of yellow jackets. She got wet and muddy, so now it's dog bath time.
The fun never ends!
10 months ago